Furtado gives Gaddafi payment away
Tuesday 01 March 2011
Muammar Gaddafi has lost many friends in recent days, but yesterday Nelly Furtado became the first to give up $1m to disown him.
The pop star had been paid that sum to sing for 45 minutes at an Italian hotel. But in a Twitter message, she declared she would give that money to charity. Not every star to have performed for the dictator and his family has been so publicly generous. Mariah Carey, Usher and Beyoncé have all sung for Gaddafi, but none has yet made any comment about their plans for the fees they received.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace