Gaga's at No 1 as highest female earner in pop
Lady Gaga has been named the highest earning female artist of 2011, pocketing £58m from tours, record sales and sponsorship deals.
The controversial singer earned twice as much as the runner-up, the US country-pop artist Taylor Swift, according to the list of the most successful women in music compiled by Forbes.
Katy Perry came third with £28m while Adele was the only Briton to make it into the top 10. Earnings from her record-breaking album 21 were estimated at £11.6m.
Lady Gaga extended her dominance of the pop world with the Born This Way album, which sold 8 million copies. Her Monster Ball tour continued into 2011, grossing $1.3m each night. The New York singer-songwriter, 25, expanded her income through endorsement deals with brands including Virgin Mobile, Polaroid, Monster Cable and the dating website plentyoffish.com.
Lady Gaga has said she gives half of her earnings to her father.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.