Glastonbury 2015 line-up: Lionel Richie first act announced to follow in Dolly Parton's footsteps

The Motown legend will perform on the Pyramid Stage next summer

Click to follow
The Independent Culture

Lionel Richie has been confirmed for the Sunday ‘legends’ slot at next summer’s Glastonbury.

The “All Night Long” singer is the first act to be announced for the festival and co-organiser Emily Eavis is “over the moon” at the booking.

It will be Richie’s debut UK festival appearance and he will play on the main Pyramid Stage. The timing of his performance will be similar to that of Dolly Parton’s last year, who brought huge crowds to her afternoon set as the festival drew to a close.

 

“We felt very lucky to get the call from a true Motown legend asking to play next year,” said Eavis, daughter of Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis.

“He’s got so many amazing songs, to see him perform here on the farm is just going to be wonderful.”

Richie, 65, added that he is “really excited” about playing Glastonbury as it is “one of the most iconic festivals in the world”.

“Glastonbury has a phenomenal history and the alumni of artists who have previously played is incredible, so I’m honoured to be joining that club,” he said.

“It will be a really special moment for me and I can’t wait to share it with everyone.”

Tickets for Glastonbury 2015 sold out in less than 30 minutes with the line-up due to be announced next spring.

AC/DC, Muse, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Taylor Swift and Fleetwood Mac are among the bookies’ favourites to headline, despite Eavis insisting that the latter are “unavailable”.

Comments