Haiti all-star telethon breaks records and tops iTunes charts
Monday 25 January 2010
MTV and George Clooney's star-studded Hope for Haiti Now telethon, seen on dozens of channels around the world, has raised $58 million for the Haiti earthquake relief efforts, and counting -- the most ever raised by any televised fundraiser. The songs performed and available for downloading on iTunes, also broke records for the biggest album pre-orders.
MTV and George Clooney's star-studded Hope for Haiti Now telethon, seen on dozens of channels around the world, has raised $58 million for the Haiti earthquake relief efforts, and counting - the most ever raised by any televised fundraiser. The songs performed and available for downloading on iTunes, also broke records for the biggest album pre-orders.
While actors from Robert Pattinson to Julia Roberts and director Steven Spielberg requested donations and took phone calls, performers sang songs appropriate to the cause, either from their own repertoire or borrowed. The first song to hit the top of the iTunes singles chart in 12 countries was "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)" by Jay-Z, Bono, the Edge, and Rihanna, an original song written for the occasion.
The all-time single day record for advance album orders on iTunes was the Hope For Haiti Now collection, where reached number one in 21 countries, including the US. Justin Timberlake's version of "Hallelujah" hit second place and five other songs from the telethon made the top 50.
All of the proceeds from the sales of songs and the album will benefit the victims of the Haiti earthquake. The artists' inspired performances follow:
- Jay-Z, Rihanna, Bono and the Edge, "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)" an original song
- Beyonce, "Halo"
- Mary J. Blige, "Hard Times Come Again No More"
- Shakira with The Roots, "I'll Stand by You" (The Pretenders' song)
- Justin Timberlake with Charlie Sexton, "Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen song)
- Alicia Keys, "Send Me an Angel"
- Coldplay, "A Message 2010"
- Sting, "Driven to Tears
- Christina Aguilera, "Lift Me Up"
- John Legend, "Motherless Child"
- Bruce Springsteen, "We Shall Overcome"
- Madonna, "Like a Prayer"
- Wyclef Jean, "Rivers of Babylon"
- Jennifer Hudson, "Let It Be" (The Beatles)
- Emeline Michel, "Too Many Rivers to Cross" (the Jimmy Cliff song)
- Taylor Swift, "Breathless" (song from alt-rock band Better Than Ezra)
- Dave Matthew and Neil Young, "Alone and Forsaken" (Hank Williams's song)
- Sheryl Crow, Kid Rock and Keith Urban, "Lean on Me" (Bill Withers's tune)
- Stevie Wonder, "A Time to Love" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" medley
The money will be split between eight organizations including Oxfam America, Partners in Health, Red Cross, UNICEF, World Food Programme, Yele Haiti Foundation and Clinton-Bush Haiti Foundation. Donations will be accepted for the next six months online (www.hopeforhaitinow.org).
Performances can be seen on www.mtv.com and songs can be purchased for .99 cents at www.apple.com/itunes/overview
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
North London meets The Exorcist in eerie suburban drama
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 #NotGuilty: Second Oxford student writes of brutal rape by two men who then threw her in a bin as part of campaign against victim blaming
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
- 5 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
The C-Word - review: Sheridan Smith shines in a warm, honest adaptation of Lisa Lynch's book about living with cancer
X-Men Apocalypse: First look at Jubilee and Jean Grey played by Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner
American Horror Story: Hotel Angela Bassett set to make 'lots of trouble' with Lady Gaga in season 5
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 4 - review: Sansa is in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous Six: Make-up 'used to darken skin of actors to make them look Native American'
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils