Kesha's Tik Tok biggest digital single of 2010
Thursday 20 January 2011
American singer Kesha's debut release Tik Tok was the biggest-selling digital single in the world last year.
It sold 12.8 million copies - three million more than Lady Gaga's Poker Face, which topped the chart in 2009.
The track, which originally got to number four in the UK singles chart, was ahead of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and Eminem's Love The Way You Lie in the 2010 chart.
The sales figures were released in the annual digital musical report published by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).
The industry body, which represents 1,400 record companies in 66 countries, said worldwide digital revenues had gone up by 6% to 4.6 billion US dollars (£2.8 billion) but piracy was still costing jobs.
IFPI chief executive Frances Moore said: "As we enter 2011, digital piracy, and the lack of adequate legal tools to fight it, remains the biggest threat to the future of creative industries.
"Great new legitimate music offerings exist all over the world, offering consumers a wide range of ways to access music.
"Yet they operate in a market that is rigged by piracy, and they will not survive if action is not taken to address this fundamental problem. This is the challenge and the opportunity for governments to seize in 2011."
The report revealed sales of digital albums rose 29% in the UK, but stated digital piracy is "growing rapidly" and illegal file-sharing remains "rife" with 76% of music obtained online in the UK unlicensed.
The top 10 digital singles in the world in 2010
1. Tik Tok by Kesha sold 12.8 million copies.
2. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga sold 9.7 million copies.
3. Love The Way You Lie by Eminem featuring Rihanna sold 9.3 million copies.
4. Telephone by Lady Gaga sold 7.4 million copies.
5. OMG by Usher featuring Will.i.am sold 6.9 million copies.
6. California Gurls by Katy Perry sold 6.7 million copies.
7. Hey, Soul Sister by Train sold 6.6 million copies.
8. Baby by Justin Bieber sold 6.4 million copies.
9. I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas sold 6.1 million copies.
10. crushcrushcrush by Paramore sold 6.1 million copies.
Grace Dent on TVtv
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
‘Remember the attackers are a cold-blooded, crazy minority’, says Blek le Rat
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Belle & Sebastian interview: Stuart Murdoch reveals how the band is taking a new direction
Alfred Hitchcock's unseen Holocaust documentary to be screened
Diana Krall: The jazz singer on being friends with Elton John, outer space and skiing in Dubai
Photographer Matt Lankes' portraits of the cast of Boyhood influenced the film's storyline
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners