Kesha's Tik Tok biggest digital single of 2010
Thursday 20 January 2011
American singer Kesha's debut release Tik Tok was the biggest-selling digital single in the world last year.
It sold 12.8 million copies - three million more than Lady Gaga's Poker Face, which topped the chart in 2009.
The track, which originally got to number four in the UK singles chart, was ahead of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and Eminem's Love The Way You Lie in the 2010 chart.
The sales figures were released in the annual digital musical report published by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).
The industry body, which represents 1,400 record companies in 66 countries, said worldwide digital revenues had gone up by 6% to 4.6 billion US dollars (£2.8 billion) but piracy was still costing jobs.
IFPI chief executive Frances Moore said: "As we enter 2011, digital piracy, and the lack of adequate legal tools to fight it, remains the biggest threat to the future of creative industries.
"Great new legitimate music offerings exist all over the world, offering consumers a wide range of ways to access music.
"Yet they operate in a market that is rigged by piracy, and they will not survive if action is not taken to address this fundamental problem. This is the challenge and the opportunity for governments to seize in 2011."
The report revealed sales of digital albums rose 29% in the UK, but stated digital piracy is "growing rapidly" and illegal file-sharing remains "rife" with 76% of music obtained online in the UK unlicensed.
The top 10 digital singles in the world in 2010
1. Tik Tok by Kesha sold 12.8 million copies.
2. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga sold 9.7 million copies.
3. Love The Way You Lie by Eminem featuring Rihanna sold 9.3 million copies.
4. Telephone by Lady Gaga sold 7.4 million copies.
5. OMG by Usher featuring Will.i.am sold 6.9 million copies.
6. California Gurls by Katy Perry sold 6.7 million copies.
7. Hey, Soul Sister by Train sold 6.6 million copies.
8. Baby by Justin Bieber sold 6.4 million copies.
9. I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas sold 6.1 million copies.
10. crushcrushcrush by Paramore sold 6.1 million copies.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 50 books for students to read this summer: From Ernest Hemingway to Gillian Flynn
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
Hercules, review: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson takes centre stage in preposterous movie
Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Rebecca Hall on her film career so far: ‘I’ve played too many repressed neurotics’
50 Shades of Grey Trailer declared sexy and sexist on Twitter
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia