Music: Spoken word - the new singing
Lauryn Hill this week debuted a new single, "Black Rage". But those looking for something like "Doo Wop (That Thing)" might be slightly disappointed to hear the new track is a spoken-word missive on race, capitalism and America; a re-working of "My Favourite Things". "As artists we have the opportunity to help the public evolve, raise consciousness and awareness," she said.
And she's not the only one eschewing actual singing. For their Late Night Tales compilation, Friendly Fires hired Benedict Cumberbatch to lend his voice to a spoken-word track called "Flat of Angles", based on a story written by author and poet Simon Cleary. Somewhere William Shatner must be gearing up, no doubt thrilled his performance art of choice seems to be having a moment.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Pride: Are censors pandering to homophobia?
Kylie Minogue Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican named highest-selling female comedians
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >