MySpace exploits musicians, says Bragg
The singer, whose hits include "Sexuality" and "Levi Stubbs' Tears", has removed all his music from the online community - which is credited with making chart-topping band Arctic Monkeys a success - because he claims the small-print gives the site too much power over his work.
MySpace has agreed to revamp the rules to avoid confusion over a clause which says artists grant the site a "royalty-free, worldwide licence ... to use, copy, modify ... and distribute" any content. Thousands of bands have posted material on to MySpace, which Mr Murdoch's News Corp bought for £300m last year.
Bragg told The Independent on Sunday: "There are four words I never like to see together - 'royalty free worldwide licence'. The alarm bells start ringing.
"The rights you are giving to MySpace are above and beyond anything you would give to a record company ... You would never go to talk to a record company without a lawyer but there are lots of people on MySpace without one."
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch describes the 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene that will never happen
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything