One Direction and Rihanna battle for Number 1
Wednesday 03 October 2012
One Direction are locked in a battle with Rihanna for top spot in the singles chart.
Mid-week sales figures from the Official Charts Company show the five-piece boyband have sold around 250 more copies of their song Live While We're Young than Rihanna's Diamonds.
The One Direction track is the first release from their second album Take Me Home.
They could also face competition from Adele whose new single, the Bond theme Skyfall, goes on sale on Friday though it will more likely challenge for top spot the week after.
Other expected new entries include Ellie Goulding who looks set to land her sixth Top 40 hit with Anything Could Happen.
Last week's number one, Psy's Gangnam Style, is expected to drop to number three and Muse are on course for their fourth number one album with The 2nd Law.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
MOBO Awards 2014: Jess Glynne hits out at 'ridiculous' criticism of nominated white artists
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Channel 5 set to give Big Brother the cold shoulder