Punk band's tour bus plunges over viaduct
Thursday 16 August 2012
Nine people were taken to hospital yesterday after a tour bus carrying an American punk rock band, Baroness, plunged over a viaduct in heavy rain in Bath.
The band, from Savannah, Georgia, were touring Europe when their coach ploughed through a safety barrier and fell 30ft.
Two people, including the driver, had to be cut from the wreckage. They suffered the most serious injuries, including multiple fractures, and were taken to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol. The others were taken to the Royal United Hospital in Bath.
The band were travelling from Bristol to Southampton when the incident happened at the junction of Brassknocker Hill and the A36.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Marijuana use by teenagers does not result in a lower IQ or worse exam results, study finds
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
MOBO Awards 2014: Jess Glynne hits back at 'ridiculous' criticism of nominated white artists
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
The Apprentice 2014: Nurun Ahmed and Lindsay Booth fired in double elimination
MOBO Awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with double elimination
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters