Race on for top spot as singles sales soar again
Monday 19 December 2011
The race for the Christmas No 1 gets under way in earnest today, marking the climax of a record-breaking year for singles sales.
Figures released today show that the singles market is booming in the download age. More than 164 million singles have already been sold in the UK in 2011 – up from last year's previous record of 161.8 million. The figures take into account both official single releases and downloaded album tracks, and have soared since 2004 – when 32 million singles were sold. Gareth Malone and his Military Wives from the BBC television show The Choir are favourites to take the festive No 1 slot, which will be announced on Christmas Day. Their song, "Wherever You Are", seems likely to knock The X Factor winners Little Mix off the top of the charts. The girl band's debut single, a cover of Damien Rice's "Cannonball", almost inevitably went to No 1 yesterday.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 2 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
- 5 Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to England and Arsenal striker