Reality star Leona Lewis tops US album chart
Thursday 17 April 2008
Leona Lewis has become the first female British artist to see her debut album take the No 1 slot in the US charts.
She sold 204,841 copies of her album Spirit in the US this week, taking it to the top of the Billboard top 200.
Music producer Simon Cowell said: "What Leona has achieved is simply incredible. This is the hardest market to crack and for her debut album to go in at No 1 is unbelievable."
Her success comes just weeks after being the first British female to top the US singles chart in more than two decades, with the song "Bleeding Love".
The singer's career was launched by the ITV talent show, The X Factor, which she won in December 2006.
Lewis has been recently appearing on US chat shows and has now had No 1 albums and singles in 20 countries across the world. In Britain, Spirit became the fastest-selling album of all time. Before achieving pop stardom, Lewis, 23, worked as a pizza waitress in Hackney.
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >