Rolf Harris has performed his first live show since his arrest last month over historical claims of sexual assault.
The 83-year-old broadcaster and artist thanked fans for their support during his Rolf Harris Live show in Bristol on Saturday. “You’ve no idea what this means- for you all to turn up with such support and enthusiasm,” he said.
Harris was first interviewed under caution over historical allegations of sexual offences in November 2012, before being arrested and bailed in March 2013. He has not been charged with any offence.
During his performance he told the audience about a letter of support he had received. “A couple called Helen and Matthew sent me a card of support which said: ‘It’s not about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s learning to dance in the rain’,” he said.
His show was billed as a “rare stage appearance” and “an opportunity to hear his classic songs including ‘Stairway to Heaven,’ ‘Tie Me Kangaroo Down’, ‘Sport’, ‘Sun Arise’ and ‘Two Little Boys’.”
During the show he also painted on stage, but despite seeming up-beat he told the audience he was disappointed not to have been booked to perform at next month’s Glastonbury Festival.
Harris, who has denied any wrongdoing, is one of 12 people arrested under Operation Yewtree, the national investigation prompted by allegations against Jimmy Savile.Reuse content