Sixties pop star John Walker dies in Los Angeles
Monday 09 May 2011
John Walker, one of the founders of 1960s group the Walker Brothers has died, his spokeswoman has confirmed.
Walker, 67, passed away at his Los Angeles home after suffering with liver cancer.
Born John Maus, Walker played a pivotal role in the band which scored huge commercial success in the 1960s and 1970s with songs such as Make It Easy On Yourself and The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Any More).
His spokeswoman said: "Sadly John passed away on Saturday morning Californian time, after a six-month battle with liver cancer."
The band was formed in 1964, when the three unrelated musicians Scott Engel, Maus and Gary Leeds adopted the Walker Brothers name.
The group's fame flourished after travelling to the UK in the 1960s.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch 'first sexy Holmes', says Mark Gatiss
Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
Grace Dent on TV: True Detective, Sky Atlantic
Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Captain Phillips actor Barkhad Abdi struggles financially despite Oscar nomination
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it