Stone Roses play first gig in 16 years
A crowd of 1,000 Stone Roses fans saw the newly reunited band play their first gig in 16 years last night.
Former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher was reported to be among the devotees at Warrington's Parr Hall in Lancashire as the seminal indie band opened with their cult track "I Wanna Be Adored".
The music magazine NME said the band were "light years from how they sounded in '96".
The free show was announced just hours in advance and only people with one of the band's record sleeves, T-shirts or tickets to an upcoming gig were admitted.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.