Stooges guitarist dies
Tuesday 06 January 2009
Guitarist Ron Asheton of The Stooges was found dead at home today. He was 60.
Asheton's distorted guitar was a hallmark of the Iggy Pop-led group's late-1960s and early-1970s sound.
He was an original member of The Stooges, an influential protopunk band founded in 1967. His brother, Scott, was the band's drummer.
He was named the 29th greatest guitarist of all time in 2003 by Rolling Stone magazine.
Police in Ann Arbor, Michigan, said there were no signs of foul play, and the death appeared to be of natural causes.
Officers discovered Asheton after they were called to his home by friend who had not heard from him in several days.
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Arts & Ents blogs
The desolation of the Weinstein brothers: Film producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
Your Money, Money, Money please - Abba ask fans for £195 pledges on direct-to-fan website
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug review
Not all right on the night
Lost Peter Sellers films Dearth of a Salesman and Insomnia Is Good for You hailed as the movie equivalent of 'finding Dead Sea Scrolls'
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 3 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 4 Not all right on the night
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- < Previous
- Next >