Take That and Robbie Williams set for reunion
Thursday 15 July 2010
Robbie Williams and Take That are poised to announce a reunion after months of speculation.
The two sides are set to make an announcement this afternoon.
Representatives for Williams and the group would not comment but it is understood the collaboration will be confirmed after 6pm.
Williams left the group in 1995 and had years of ill-feeling about the way he was treated while he was a member.
He and the group have built bridges in recent years and even shared a stage for a Children In Need concert last year, an event organised by Take That's Gary Barlow.
It emerged last year that the group had been in the studio with Williams, when he let it slip during a radio interview.
Take That disbanded in 1996 but reunited without Williams in 2005 to huge success, including three number one singles.
Williams has already revealed he is releasing a single, Shame, with Take That's Gary Barlow.
The group have recorded a new album together, their first since 1995 release Nobody Else.
It is due for release in November and has been produced by Stuart Price, who has worked with Madonna and Kylie Minogue.
Williams spoke of his joy at rejoining his old colleagues. He said: "I get embarrassingly excited when the five of us are in a room. It feels like coming home."
Bandmate Mark Owen said: "Getting the five of us to be in a room together, although always a dream, never actually seemed like becoming a reality.
"Now the reality of the five of us making a record together feels like a dream. It's been an absolute delight spending time with Rob again. But I'm still a better footballer," he joked.
Jason Orange said: "I'm over the moon that Robbie's back with us, however long it lasts. I just want to enjoy our time with him. Life is beautifully strange sometimes."
The band are thought to have begun recording material when they met up in September last year.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of the band's formation, as they first tried to make a name for themselves touring the club circuit.
By 1993 they had become huge and enjoyed a string of hits including Pray and Relight My Fire.
However Williams, the baby of the group, was beginning to pull in a different direction and famously enjoyed a "lost weekend" with Oasis at the Glastonbury festival in 1995.
After a wobbly start he had his own huge solo career with chart-topping singles such as Millennium and Feel.
But the reunion of his former Take That colleagues in 2005 for live dates began to overshadow his success.
Despite Williams ridiculing Barlow during his live shows, the pair began to bury the hatchet in recent years and their friendship was renewed.
Williams said last year: "You carry around all this resentment and bitterness for such a long time."
After the five met up they embraced.
"We had a hug up and what was left was what we had at the beginning - just five guys that love each other," Williams said.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up