Tate apologises for Kraftwerk ticket debacle
Friday 14 December 2012
Tate bosses have apologised "unreservedly" for a ticketing disaster this week which left many fans of German electronic group Kraftwerk unable to see the band after the gallery's website could not cope with demand.
It created further frustration when the gallery then began selling tickets to visitors who turned up to Tate Modern - which will host the show - to buy them in person, which had not been part of the original plan.
Most of the tickets ended up being sold by phone, leading to lengthy waits which left many fans disappointed.
Kraftwerk are due to play a rare series of shows early next year, performing classic albums in full.
The Tate said it had expected its website to cope with the volume of traffic but admitted that it had been "overwhelmed by the phenomenal number of people attempting to access it simultaneously".
In a message on its website the gallery acknowledged people had a "difficult time", adding: "We apologise unreservedly for that."
It went on: "We expected to sell most of the tickets online before the galleries opened and did not anticipate selling tickets in the gallery.
"Some customers came to Tate Modern and we made the late decision to sell tickets to them to avoid their disappointment.
"We are sorry that this was not communicated as an official route to buy tickets and subsequently led to more frustration from other customers trying to buy tickets online and by telephone."
The shows by the electronic music pioneers - in which they will perform tracks from albums such as The Man-Machine and Trans Europe Express - have now sold out.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
- 5 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Mr Selfridge series 3: Actress Kara Tointon says 'we're starting to see his demise'
Ed Sheeran texts Noel Gallagher to offer him tickets after Wembley Stadium rant
Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Taylor Swift banned from Triple J Hottest 100: Fans react to epic #Tay4Hottest100 defeat
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks