The Beatles’ ‘teacher’ Tony Sheridan dies
Monday 18 February 2013
Tony Sheridan, the guitarist and singer-songwriter who had The Beatles as his back-up band before they hit the big time, died at the weekend in Hamburg, Germany.
The 72-year-old’s death was confirmed by his daughter Wendy Clare Sheridan-McGinnity.
Sheridan starred on The Beatles’ first commercial recording after they met in 1960. At that point the band was comprised of John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison on guitar with Stuart Sutcliffe on bass and Pete Best on drums.
They performed together under the name Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers on recordings of “When The Saints Go Marching In,” “My Bonnie” and “Ain’t She Sweet”.
Sheridan was born Anthony Esmond Sheridan McGinnity in Norwich in 1940.
As a successful session musician he toured with Chubby Checker, Jerry Lee Lewis and other American musicians in the Sixties. He moved to Germany in the 1970s and performed with Elvis Presley’s backing group in 1978.
McCartney, who reportedly referred to Sheridan as “the teacher”, was a big fan and the pair wrote “Tell Me If You Can” together in 1962.
He leaves two daughters and three sons.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >