The Voice: The talent show that failed to conquer the charts
Everyone knows that the first single released by the winner of a TV talent show is guaranteed a place at the top of the charts. Really, any old rubbish will do.
Four girls wearing a month's worth of make-up warbling a Damien Rice track can sell more than 200,000 singles in a week (ta, Little Mix). A toothy 18-year-old belting out a Miley Cyrus song can shift 450,000 (hi, Joe McElderry!). A winner could release "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and the UK public would crash iTunes in anticipation.
So imagine the BBC's embarrassment that the cover of Whitney Houston's "Run To You" by the inaugural winner of The Voice, Leanne Something-or-other, is flailing at 27 in the midweeks, having sold just 6,527 copies. With seven million tuned into the final, things aren't looking good.
Simon Cowell must be rubbing his hands with glee.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >