The Who 'replaced Prince last minute at Glastonbury' and claim headline set was 'sabotaged'

'Not many know that we were a last-months addition to the show, replacing Prince who decided not to come this year'

Click to follow
The Independent Culture

While The Who may have stormed Glastonbury last month, they weren’t actually meant to be there.

According to a post written on the bands website, the always rumoured but never appearing Prince was supposed to see out Sunday night at Worthy Farm but cancelled at the last minute.

“Not many know that we were a last-months addition to the show, replacing Prince who decided not to come this year,” the post reads.

Apparently written by one of the bands guitar techs, the piece also says how the band’s equipment was sabotaged before the show.

“As we began to prepare our coming changeover, we found someone had sabotaged the carefully-tested audio connections for much of our gear.

REVIEW: THE WHO HEADLINE GLASTONBURY 2015

“We’ve never seen that before, but we’re good at plugging things in, so all damage was repaired in time. Was it Mr. Weller or Lionel, no way. Dalai Lama – hmmm…. he did steal the show already. Well, so far…”

The blog then says how Pete Townsend thought the show was particularly “sloppy”, and he grew increasingly angry throughout until Roger Daltry pulled down the sound screens in a very rock’n’roll moment.

 

As you may have suspected, references are also made about Kanye’s performance, with the tech laying into Mr Kardashian for proclaiming himself to be the “greatest living rock star in the world.”

The band themselves made reference to this during their set, with Pete saying “We’re going to make a big f***ing rebellion; yeah, who’s the biggest rock star in the world?”

Comments