Winehouse faces the music as she cancels rest of tour

Click to follow

Amy Winehouse scrapped the rest of her British tour yesterday after a string of shambolic concerts and emotional outbursts.

The troubled singer said she could not perform at her best while her husband, Black Fielder-Civil, was in prison, adding that she had been ordered to rest by her doctor. Winehouse, 24, said: "I can't give it my all on stage without my Blake.

"I'm so sorry but I don't want to do the shows half-heartedly. I love singing. My husband is everything to me and without him it's just not the same."

Fielder-Civil was arrested this month for allegedly trying to bribe a barman he is accused of attacking not to give evidence against him. He is in Pentonville Prison on remand.

Winehouse's record label, Island, said she would not undertake any concerts or promotional appearances for the rest of the year and it had ordered her to deal with her "health issues".

The company added in a statement: "The rigours involved in touring and the intense emotional strain that Amy has been under in recent weeks have taken their toll. In the interests of her health and well-being, Amy has been ordered to take complete rest and deal with her health issues.

"Refunds for the remaining dates will be issued from the point of purchase."

The singer's mother, Janis Winehouse, said she was relieved by her daughter's decision, adding: "Amy has got to take the opportunity of getting herself fitter and stronger. She thinks she is strong but she isn't. I hope she uses the chance to fully recover."

Winehouse's sell-out, 16-date tour was supposed to draw a line under a turbulent year in which she lurched from gathering numerous awards for her second album, Back To Black, to stints in rehab, public spats with her family and increasingly shambolic concerts.

On the opening night of her tour on 15 November, she was booed by fans as she slurred her words and stumbled around a stage in Birmingham. In Brighton on Monday – the ninth and what turned out to be final date – she started an hour late because she had been playing pool backstage, then gave another lacklustre display of her talents. Scores of disappointed fans walked out of the Brighton Centre half-way through the show in disgust. One said simply: "She was rubbish."

After the concert, Winehouse was reported to have dashed from hotel to hotel in the pouring rain, hiding her nose and pulling at her teeth, before hailing a taxi to take her back to London in the early hours yesterday.

The remaining dates were cancelled just before last night's Bournemouth gig was due to begin. Fans arriving early were disappointed but not surprised.

Jill Thompson, a teacher from Poole, said: "I've been looking forward to this concert for weeks. I wasn't surprised, though, because I read the reviews about the other concerts and realised she was very ill and hasn't been giving her best lately."

Winehouse's instability has been attributed to her husband and his brush with the law. Fielder-Civil, 25, was facing trial for an alleged assault on a barman at The Macbeth pub in Hoxton, east London, when he was accused of offering the man cash to drop the charge and leave the country. He is due in court again in January.

Winehouse, struggling with bulimia, drink and drug addictions, has already cancelled a string of European gigs owing to her "severe exhaustion" and postponed the US leg of her tour until next year. Last month, she and Fielder-Civil were arrested in Norway after police found cannabis in their hotel room. Her father Mitch, a taxi driver, said he was so concerned about her that he had already written the eulogy he expected to deliver at her funeral.