Album: Adam Green, Sixes & Sevens (Rough Trade)
Friday 07 March 2008
With The Moldy Peaches' music featuring in the film Juno, Adam Green's stock has never been higher – which may account for his easygoing tone on this fifth solo album.
With settings ranging from the Caribbean lilt picked out on guitar and glockenspiel for "Tropical Island" to the pan pipes riding the misshapen gait of "You Get So Lucky", it's Green's most ambitious set yet. But his songwriting style retains that idiosyncratic blend of the comforting and the disarming, in which occasionally strange, unsettling images are smuggled in under cover of bland arrangements.
Green's engaging gentleness recalls Josh Rouse's knowing innocence, but the simpering tone of his delivery ultimately irritates: he's more like the surrealist Burl Ives, jovially recounting whimsical ditties of so little consequence that one never frets much about their meaning. The best track is "Twee Twee Dee", a pastiche of Willie Mitchell's classic string-laced Memphis soul grooves, spoilt by Green's soul-free baritone croon. The best line is the most straightforwardly political: "I was a nation bound to my station/ Getting led, getting led, getting led".
Download this: 'Twee Twee Dee', 'Tropical Island', 'Getting Led'
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >