Album: Alan Pownall, True Love Stories (Mercury)
Friday 16 July 2010
There are moments on this enjoyable debut album that suggest Alan Pownall shares the same relaxed charm and easy affinity with traditional pop modes as Paolo Nutini.
Several songs sound as if they were written on the ukulele, others play with waltz and tango rhythms, and both "Life Worth Living" and "Chasing Time" have an understated island flavour, as if sheltering beneath a straw brim from the Caribbean sun. Pownall brings a strong melodic sense to his benighted tales of blighted love and ships passed during nights too dark to notice what's been lost, with the bouncy piano of "Clara" recalling Elton John, and the tack piano rendering "Too Many Holes" in proper pub-singalong style. Best of all is the opener "More or Less", a song of resigned disaffection set to noodling organ and tinny drum-machine.
DOWNLOAD THIS More or Less; Clara; Chasing Time; Too Many Holes
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
- 5 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
JK Rowling announces Harry Potter's son is starting at Hogwarts
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
Photographer fights ginger discrimination with vivid portraits of redheads
Akram Khan: Choreographer says dance is 'as important as maths and being a doctor'
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up