Album: Aled Jones, Aled's Christmas Gift (Demon Music Group)
Aled Jones's take on the Christmas album is virtually flawless, if slightly bloodless, which given his frequent stints as presenter on Radio 2 and Songs of Praise should come as no surprise.
He has a clear understanding of his audience's desires, and plays to them unashamedly with clear, tender interpretations of favourites like "Away in a Manger" and more adventurous fare such as "See Amid the Winter's Snow" and "Mary Did You Know?". Jones's tenor still bears traces of his youthful chorister's purity, but at times his personable charm comes across a touch too smoothly, particularly on the more folk-oriented material like "The Sussex Carol" and the Cornish "Sans Day Carol", when a hint of raggedy rusticity wouldn't have gone amiss.
DOWNLOAD THIS Away in a Manger; See Amid the Winter's Snow; Mary Did You Know?
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 Amir Khan interview: 'One second could end my boxing career'
- 4 Groundhog day looms for Arsène Wenger as Arsenal battle for a place in the Champions League on final day
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.