Album: Aled Jones, Aled's Christmas Gift (Demon Music Group)
Friday 17 December 2010
Aled Jones's take on the Christmas album is virtually flawless, if slightly bloodless, which given his frequent stints as presenter on Radio 2 and Songs of Praise should come as no surprise.
He has a clear understanding of his audience's desires, and plays to them unashamedly with clear, tender interpretations of favourites like "Away in a Manger" and more adventurous fare such as "See Amid the Winter's Snow" and "Mary Did You Know?". Jones's tenor still bears traces of his youthful chorister's purity, but at times his personable charm comes across a touch too smoothly, particularly on the more folk-oriented material like "The Sussex Carol" and the Cornish "Sans Day Carol", when a hint of raggedy rusticity wouldn't have gone amiss.
DOWNLOAD THIS Away in a Manger; See Amid the Winter's Snow; Mary Did You Know?
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >