Album: Ane Brun, It All Starts with One (Balloon Ranger)
Norwegian singer Ane Brun's quietly involving music occupies a spectral space in which her delicate, tremulous voice reveals shared intimacies with a rare poise.
The arrangements are kept almost naked – just a line of acoustic guitar, stalking piano or brooding organ, caressed here and there with strings, vibes, and subtle hints of distant percussion – so as not to intrude on the mood. Her duet with Jose Gonzalez on "Worship" is an exemplary union of forces. Most of her songs deal with the conflicts between solitude and relationships, with unusual imagery: in "These Days", she recalls how, "like an animal, you coiled your darkness around me", while "The Light from One" brings a new approach to the theme of unrequited love, Brun explaining she's giving up carrying a torch for someone else, in order to more capably carry her own.
DOWNLOAD THIS: These Days; Worship; Words; The Light from One
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin