Album: Arnie Somogyi's Ambulance
Accident and Insurgency (Linn)
Sunday 13 January 2008
Arnie Somogyi is a bassist and Ambulance is his quintet of young Brit jazzers augmented by the soigné American trumpeter Eddie Henderson. They play jazz of programmatic bent, in this case arising from time spent on the Suffolk coast in the company of "Mick the Fish", "Lobster Pot 999" and Maggie Hambling's controversial shell sculpture at Aldeburgh. You will not hear the voices of townsfolk raised in choral abuse. What you will hear is elaborate, faintly Wayne Shorter-ish ensemble music, moistened by laptop drizzle. No single voice stands out but the collective effect is sometimes marvellous.
Download this: 'Captain Courageous': skimming stones and falling in
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >