Album: Beardyman, I Done a Album, (SundayBest)
Friday 18 March 2011
Beatboxer supremo Beardyman describes himself as having some form of "musical Attention Deficit Disorder", a diagnosis confirmed by this debut album, on which he darts impulsively from style to style, throwing in short sketches, impressions and throwaway one-liners to keep the pot bubbling.
One moment he's delivering a sort of Balkan oompah dubstep, the next a North African rai/dancehall blend, then an uncannily accurate impression of a Q-Tip rap. Individual tracks morph restlessly: dub reggae skank "Gonna Be Sick" transforms into a Dizzee-style grime blurt, while "Mullet Bwoy" mutates back and forth between grimy dubstep and epic prog-rock. The album's relentless variety is both its strength and its weakness: it's never boring, but its core character dissipates with each successive change of direction.
DOWNLOAD THIS Twist Your Ankal; Game Over; Gonna Be Sick
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments