Album: Bill Frisell, Beautiful Dreamers, Savoy
Sunday 19 September 2010
After umpteen albums for the Nonesuch label, guitarist Frisell’s debut for Savoy continues in a familiar vein with this bucolic, plinky-plonk trio featuring Eyvind Kang on viola and drummer Rudy Royston.
Produced by regular partner Lee Townsend, 10 of the 16 shortish songs are Frisell originals but it’s a joyful cover of “Goin’ Out of My Head” that’s the real highlight, while another, “Tea for Two”, supplies the bathetic low point. It’s great, but shouldn’t Frisell be deeper by now?
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are