Album: Brian Eno with Jon Hopkins & Leo Abrahams, Small Craft on a Milk Sea (Warp)
Friday 12 November 2010
Brian Eno's first album for Warp finds him collaborating with the guitarist Leo Abrahams and the keyboardist Jon Hopkins on a series of drifting, improvised pieces intended to produce landscapes of sound, rather than songs.
It's territory he's explored many times before, and whose parameters he effectively mapped with his Music for Films series. As the album title suggests, it's a calm, largely featureless terrain: "Complex Heaven" finds limpid guitar figures adrift in oceanic bliss-scape. More animatedly, the agitated tattoo of "Horse" develops a pell-mell momentum, and "Paleosonic" features a choppy hubbub streaked with dervish guitar runs. But at their best, as with the haunted De Chirico space of "Calcium Needles", these pieces are powerfully evocative.
DOWNLOAD THIS Emerald and Lime; Calcium Needles; Horse; Paleosonic
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >