Album: Brian Wilson, Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin (Disney Pearl Series)
Friday 03 September 2010
It's no surprise to find the Great Arranger of his era tackling the Great American Songbook; but sadly, the absence of surprise also applies to the bulk of the treatments here, which err on the side of schmaltz.
The familiar Wilson tropes are scattered throughout: "They Can't Take That Away From Me" is done in the cantering manner of the intro to "California Girls"; "I Got Rhythm" is ersatz Big 16-style rock'n'roll; and "I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'" a galumphing bass harmonica instrumental. The only real points of interest are the brief, lushly-harmonised snatches of "Rhapsody In Blue" which bookend the album, and "Someone To Watch Over Me" arranged for harpsichord, strings and wooden percussion. Here's hoping there are no plans for similar albums of Irving Berlin, Cole Porter etc.
DOWNLOAD THIS Someone To Watch Over Me; Rhapsody In Blue
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >