Album: Cajun Dance Party, The Colourful Life (XL)
Sunday 27 April 2008
The very opposite of an exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin band, Cajun Dance Party aren't particularly danceable, and their sound is more Primrose Hill than New Orleans.
Unfortunately, 'The Colourful Life' is as dishonestly named as the band itself. Almost everything on it has the same gentle cantering beat and jangling guitars, enlivened only by Vicky Freund's twinkling keys, and Daniel Blumberg's lyrics are standard relationship-angst, poorly articulated. The most notable exception is "No Joanna", a tense, terse little confessional, but ultimately CDP are yet more white kids from the south of England with guitars. Oh goody.
Pick of the Album: Pianist envy: 'No Joanna'
tv Jenny Lee may have left, but Miranda Hart and the rest of the midwives deliver the goods
Film The critics but sneer but these unfashionable festive films are our favourites
TV We're so close to knowing what happened to Oliver Hughes, but a last-minute bluff crushes expectations
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader