Album: Chick Corea, The Vigil (Concord)
Sunday 28 July 2013
Good fusion bands need great drummers and Marcus Gilmore's all-around-the-kit technique adds massive energy and oomph to star pianist Corea's latest band.
It's his best group for eons, with the UK's Tim Garland on sax, Hadrien Feraud on bass and guitarist Charles Altura, with Ravi Coltrane guesting on "Pledge for Peace". The cover concept, spacey theme and song titles are straight out of the Big L. Ron cupboard but most of the music works.
filmWith more than 70% of early films lost, archivists are turning to science to preserve the few examples that remain
NFL fans were so loud during a match that their celebrations registered as a minor earthquake
Tyre firm aimed to show how their tyres would perform in ‘unexpected’ conditions
Arts & Ents blogs
Paul Walker death: Filming of Fast and Furious 7 on hold following death of actor
Ten adverts that shocked the world
Christmas TV 2013: Downton Abbey special details revealed
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do