Album: Colorama, Good Music (AED)
The most rewarding factor on this album is the involvement of Edwyn Collins
as producer (and label boss).
While not restricting the band's natural eclecticism, Collins has brought a focus to each track that affords it maximum impact, whether it's the skeletal but muscular funk-pop of "Old Fashioned Girl", or the staccato groove of "Good Music". Elsewhere, "The War Con" is a Calexico-meets-Link Wray instrumental, "Do The Pump" revives the classic "Radar Love" motorik groove, and "Delaware" affects the sinister croon of The Doors. Deft and diverse, they're the Welsh Ween.
Download: Old Fashioned Girl; Good Music; Delaware; Why Is She
Final Top Gear reviewTV
FestivalsFive ways to avoid the portable toilets
Jurassic WorldThe results are completely brilliant
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Should Apple buy Greece?
- 2 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 3 Drummer Lee Rigby's family reject 'extremist' groups using Woolwich murder for political gain
- 4 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 5 Fox News anchor asks 'what's to prevent' three people from marrying after same-sex marriage legalised
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato