Album: Corinne Bailey Rae, The Sea (Virgin)
Sunday 31 January 2010
Anyone expecting more of the quirky, chirpy melodies of Bailey Rae's multimillion-selling debut is in for a shock at the start of her comeback.
Two years after the death of her husband, opener "Are You Here" finds Bailey Rae summoning a tidal wave of emotion in a song awash with grief. But life goes on, and by track two – lead single "I'd Do It All Again" – Bailey Rae has reverted to form, though throughout The Sea her vocals have taken on a smoky quality that lends depth to even the more lightweight material.
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Windows 10: man updates PC, wakes up to find porn slideshow on repeat
- 2 The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
- 3 John Green schools morning show hosts after awkward interview with Cara Delevingne
- 4 Bulletproof armadillo puts Texas man in hospital after shot bounces off hard shell
- 5 Doctors declare war on Jeremy Hunt over weekend working 'myths' amid plan for seven day NHS
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality