Album: Danny & the Champions of the World, Hearts & Arrows (SO)
Sunday 17 July 2011
Last year's Streets of Our Time was an attractive enough hash of Slim Chancey folk breeze and bird imagery.
But Danny doesn't like the idea of "new folk" any more; he likes late-1970s American rock. And so he has drilled into the musical and lyrical tropes which made Messrs Springsteen, Petty and Mellencamp into the romantic figures of their time and emerged with an inventory of clichés so egregiously derivative that all you can do with it is tick them off.
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor