Album: Dave Alvin, Eleven Eleven (Yep Roc)
Friday 08 July 2011
Dave Alvin's latest album may be his best yet, its tales of the flipside of the American Dream set to gritty blues riffs that speak of long months on the road.
That's the actual location proceedings start off in "Harlan County Line", Alvin musing in a motel on how "People can be noble, people can be cruel, they can make you president, they can call you a fool". From there it's a broad canvas inhabited by the lost and the losing: striking factory worker of "Gary, Indiana 1959"; the drug smugglers of "No Worries Mija"; the poor farmer who regrets becoming a bounty hunter in "Murrietta's Dead"; the half-blind pugilist of "Run Conejo Run"; and most true and tragic of all, the R&B star whose senseless demise in "Johnny Ace Is Dead" is aptly set to a Junior Parker-style shuffle.
DOWNLOAD THIS Johnny Ace Is Dead; Gary, Indiana 1959; Run Conejo Run; Harlan County Line
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online days before public release
Groundhog Day musical to premiere at Old Vic from Matilda theatre director
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate