Album: Deer Tick, Born on Flag Day (Partisan Records)
Sunday 13 December 2009
With the 1980s "new country" stalwarts a distant memory and the alt-country scene now diversified to the point of distraction, the door is open for a new breed of cowboy… Enter Deer Tick, a bunch of young gunslingers from, of all places, Rhode Island.
There’s a touch of a twangy Springsteen and a hint of a pedal-steeled Hold Steady, but Deer Tick are currently in a league of their own when it comes to cheese-free country-rock which pays tribute to the past while never being overawed by it.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures