Album: Don Scannell, Three Silver Pieces (Don Scannell)
Friday 29 April 2011
The expatriate Irish songwriter Don Scannell's debut album starts off strongly before tailing off somewhat in the later stages; but there's enough happening to suggest he may yet be able to give up his day-job as an accountant.
Certainly, there can be few in his profession with as self-consciously poetic a turn of phrase to coin lines like "the brightful day, it ebbs away" and "chasing illusions in a violet sky" – but his airy harmonies and sweetly toned arrangements of piano, cello and subdued fingerstyle guitar have the warmth to carry most of them off. Vocally, Scannell reminds me of David McWilliams – on "Intro (Shabby Rocks)", he delivers short phrases like an incantation, while the brief "Evoke the Night" has a gentle, hymnal manner. Elsewhere, the folksy consolations of "Pour Away" have a simpatico temperament akin to "Everybody Hurts".
DOWNLOAD THIS Intro (Shabby Rocks); Mystery; Three Silver Pieces
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action