Album: Doris Duke, I'm a Loser (Kent)
Sunday 11 July 2010
You can get these tracks on a compilation CD but this is a facsimile of the original 1969 Canyon LP: a 12-song concept album on the theme of the wronged woman, a role that Duke, a backing singer for Nina Simone, incarnates with extraordinary fidelity (and fidelity is a big issue here, as you'd guess).
Produced by Jerry "Swamp Dogg" Williams, there are slow songs, fast songs, oh-so sensitive string and horn arrangements added to swelling Hammond organ, and Duke's heart-wrenching voice. Hear it and weep.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly