Album: Drenge, Drenge (Infectious)
Saturday 17 August 2013
Derbyshire garage-blues band Drenge made national headlines recently when Labour's then election co-ordinator Tom Watson somewhat bizarrely cited them in his open resignation letter to Ed Miliband, recommending them as "awesome" in his sign-off sentence.
Drenge – it's Danish for "boys" – are the duo of Rory and Eoin, two early twentysomething brothers with the almost too perfect surname of Loveless. Their self-titled debut, aptly enough, is one of the most bitterly anti-romantic albums this side of the third PiL offering. It's a record whose opening track is called "People in Love Make Me Feel Yuck", and whose farewell words are: "I don't give a fuck about people in love. They don't piss me off. They just make me give up."
Their bracingly cynical worldview, reinforced by rough-edged, piledriving riffs pitched somewhere between Death From Above 1979 and early Nirvana, is literally red in tooth and claw: Drenge is littered with references to bloodsports, dead birds and broken teeth, calls its listeners "morons" and threatens to "break you in half".
When the Loveless brothers look out of their windows, one imagines they don't see the Peak District. They see the Trough District.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world