Album: E.L.B. Dream Flight (Air)
Sunday 27 April 2008
E.L.B. are, respectively, drummer Pete Erskine, guitarist Nguyen Le and bassist Michel Benita. They're augmented by the reeds of Stephane Guillaume.
And as you'd expect of such a well-meaning multicultural bunch, they speak the international lingo of cultivated jazz-fusion, all elegance, mellowness and consideration. Yet among the good manners a spark of Weather Report-ish melodic incandescence sometimes flares, especially in the tunes penned by Benita and Erskine. What seems on the surface like a rather bland affair is quietly propulsive and sometimes even intense. Hang on to your alice bands, boys! NC
Pick of the Album: The title track: crepuscule with exotic fruit
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >