Album: E.L.B. Dream Flight (Air)
Sunday 27 April 2008
E.L.B. are, respectively, drummer Pete Erskine, guitarist Nguyen Le and bassist Michel Benita. They're augmented by the reeds of Stephane Guillaume.
And as you'd expect of such a well-meaning multicultural bunch, they speak the international lingo of cultivated jazz-fusion, all elegance, mellowness and consideration. Yet among the good manners a spark of Weather Report-ish melodic incandescence sometimes flares, especially in the tunes penned by Benita and Erskine. What seems on the surface like a rather bland affair is quietly propulsive and sometimes even intense. Hang on to your alice bands, boys! NC
Pick of the Album: The title track: crepuscule with exotic fruit
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Jessie Cave interview: Harry Potter's Lavender Brown has published a collection of feminist cartoons
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives