Album: E.L.B. Dream Flight (Air)
Sunday 27 April 2008
E.L.B. are, respectively, drummer Pete Erskine, guitarist Nguyen Le and bassist Michel Benita. They're augmented by the reeds of Stephane Guillaume.
And as you'd expect of such a well-meaning multicultural bunch, they speak the international lingo of cultivated jazz-fusion, all elegance, mellowness and consideration. Yet among the good manners a spark of Weather Report-ish melodic incandescence sometimes flares, especially in the tunes penned by Benita and Erskine. What seems on the surface like a rather bland affair is quietly propulsive and sometimes even intense. Hang on to your alice bands, boys! NC
Pick of the Album: The title track: crepuscule with exotic fruit
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientists who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Meet Thea, Norway's 12-year-old child bride
- 5 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who review 'Flatline': Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Alfred Hitchcock's unseen Holocaust documentary to be screened
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'