Album: Eliza Carthy & Norma Waterson, Gift (Topic)
Friday 16 July 2010
The cover photo – of mother's and daughter's bangled hands clasped together – tells its own story, of folk and family traditions passed along the line.
There are a few surprises – notably a medley in which the gentle innocence of "Ukulele Lady" finds shared swing-time affinity with Amen Corner's "(If Paradise Is) Half as Nice" – but it's mostly a typically well-chosen selection of traditional material in stylish settings, with Aiden Curran offering standout guitar support on the aforementioned medley and a terrific version of "Poor Wayfaring Stranger". Elsewhere, the usual suspects (Martins Carthy and Simpson, Danny Thompson and sundry other Watersons) help bring fresh life to staples like "The Nightingale" and "Bunch of Thyme" .
DOWNLOAD THIS Poor Wayfaring Stranger; Ukulele Lady; Bunch of Thyme; (If Paradise Is) Half as Nice
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are