Album: Elliott Smith, An Introduction to (Domino)
Sunday 31 October 2010
A figurehead of US indie before his untimely 2003 death, the man dubbed "Mr Misery" may need no introduction to many, but any re-affirmation of the singular vision beyond the sensitive stereotype is welcome nonetheless.
Just as these 14 songs detail a litany of despair, so they also capture his sardonic humour, searing anger and the acuity of his Beatles-like songcraft. The real shame is the short shrift given to his fuller-bodied, later albums XO and Figure 8: a case of lo-fi snobbery on the compilers' part?
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First