Album: Elvis Presley, From Elvis in Memphis, (RCA Legacy)
Sunday 26 July 2009
Following the success of the 1968 “comeback” TV special, the Great Galoot returned to his hometown and recorded two albums’ worth of material with local musicians – back in the Memphis pocket, as it were.
The results were inconsistent in many ways but almost uniformly brilliant in intensity. This is music that gets in your face on drama alone. You’ll know “In the Ghetto” and “Suspicious Minds” already. Get to know the rest on this splendid twodisc repackage job. His best work since the 1950s. In fact, the last great work he ever did.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God