Album: Elvis Presley, From Elvis in Memphis, (RCA Legacy)
Sunday 26 July 2009
Following the success of the 1968 “comeback” TV special, the Great Galoot returned to his hometown and recorded two albums’ worth of material with local musicians – back in the Memphis pocket, as it were.
The results were inconsistent in many ways but almost uniformly brilliant in intensity. This is music that gets in your face on drama alone. You’ll know “In the Ghetto” and “Suspicious Minds” already. Get to know the rest on this splendid twodisc repackage job. His best work since the 1950s. In fact, the last great work he ever did.
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people