Album: Emmylou Harris, Hard Bargain (Nonesuch)
Sunday 24 April 2011
Sighs, incantations, epically resonant minor chords hacked on reverb-drenched guitars – it has become Harris's default sound, a sort of rotisseried art-Americana.
As you might expect, then, Hard Bargain does not have a lively feel. It is stately, rather imperious music, conveying emotion through the deployment of technical effects rather than through the revelation of a voice. Not unlike the English folk singer June Tabor, Harris now treats her voice as a theatrical device, which is all well and good if you have the material to make drama with. But I'm not sure she has.
The majority of songs here are written by Harris, and though most are freighted with sufficient wisdom to ballast the floaty Southern Gothic vibe, not one catches in the mind except as a demonstration of a self-conscious technical style.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage