Album: Erasure, Tomorrow's World (Mute)
Sunday 02 October 2011
It's a peculiar quirk of pop history that Vince Clarke's third attempt at forming a synth-soul act was the one which stuck. Erasure have survived for 25 years now, and Tomorrow's World is their 14th studio album.
Reconvening after a four-year hiatus, the duo have carried on where they left off – meaning the Frankmusik-produced TW is gentle, blissful and devoid of the exuberant electro romps of yesteryear. Andy Bell's voice has unmistakeably changed over time, in a way which is difficult to pinpoint exactly, other than to say that there's less vibrato, more control.
There's a smart moment, in "Then I Go Twisting" when Bell sings, "Then I go insane, bored of this modern town/ Sick of this techno monophonic sound...". It's as if Erasure are saying to their less sophisticated successors: this is how you do it.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online days before public release
Groundhog Day musical to premiere at Old Vic from Matilda theatre director
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate