Album: Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes (Bella Union)
Sunday 08 June 2008
'Mojo' has already declared them "America's next great band", so it's difficult to know what to add to the welter of positive press that has greeted Seattle's Fleet Foxes since their lovely 'Sun Giant' EP.
And now we have the debut album proper, and further proof that if you are young, shaggy-haired West Coast Americans who listen to Maddy Prior, Fairport Convention and Karen Dalton alongside Dylan, the Beach Boys and CSNY, you will produce sweeping, majestic pop when you get together with your friends. Alongside Midlake, they're taking music back hundreds of years. Works for me.
Pick of the Album: The lush, four-part harmonies of 'White Winter Hymnal'
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland