Album: Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues (Bella Union)
Sunday 01 May 2011
Robin Pecknold became so difficult to be around during the making of Helplessness Blues, he now admits, that his girlfriend Olivia left him. Then, when she heard how beautiful the end results were, she came back.
It's easy to see how the Fleet Foxes leader must have become a little monomaniacal during the creation of the Seattle folkies' second album. It took two attempts and the sheer attention to detail is dizzying.
Like their self-titled debut, there are still unmistakable echoes of CSN&Y and Simon and Garfunkel, although the stated influences this time out are Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Roy Harper's Stormcock.
Helpnessness Blues is, like its predecessor, archaic and pastoral to the last. When Pecknold sings "I heard you on the radio", it's a jolt to realise he inhabits the modern world at all. From the opener on, this is an often-bleak listen lyrically. But with songs such as the six-minute "The Plains/Bitter Dancer", it's an overwhelmingly gorgeous experience.
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services