Album: Golden Animals, Free Your Mind and Win a Pony (Happy Parts)
Sunday 20 July 2008
Album title of the year, clearly. But what's the music like? While they recorded 'Pony', guitarist Tommy Eisner and drummer Linda Beecroft went out into the California desert to live in complete isolation with nowt but a set of Doors albums for company.
And that's what it sounds like: psychedelic blues-rock, long on reverb and chugga-lugga drum/ guitar rhythms played by the light of a baritone moon. And if your sensors are picking up a hint of White Stripes in all this, then you're forgiven. If this were 1967, you'd be hailing the Animals as the latest happening thing: as it is, they're a bit late happening.
Pick of the Album: 'The Steady Roller': chugga-lugga boom whoaaaah-yeah
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 As an ex prostitute, I urge all the political parties to commit to the Sex Buyer Law
- 2 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 3 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
Goodfellas star Frank Sivero sues for $250m over Simpsons character
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'