Album: Golden Animals, Free Your Mind and Win a Pony (Happy Parts)
Sunday 20 July 2008
Album title of the year, clearly. But what's the music like? While they recorded 'Pony', guitarist Tommy Eisner and drummer Linda Beecroft went out into the California desert to live in complete isolation with nowt but a set of Doors albums for company.
And that's what it sounds like: psychedelic blues-rock, long on reverb and chugga-lugga drum/ guitar rhythms played by the light of a baritone moon. And if your sensors are picking up a hint of White Stripes in all this, then you're forgiven. If this were 1967, you'd be hailing the Animals as the latest happening thing: as it is, they're a bit late happening.
Pick of the Album: 'The Steady Roller': chugga-lugga boom whoaaaah-yeah
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits due to illness
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, gig review: Just what everyone was hoping for
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >