Album: Guillemots, Hello Land! (The State 51 Conspiracy)
Clearly unafraid of a challenge, with Hello Land! Guillemots offer the first of a quartet of season-themed albums to be released by the end of the year.
Recorded in Norway with a flute ensemble, these eight tracks evoke echoes of all manner of former glories, from the psych-pop of The Left Banke and The Association discernible in the genial high-register harmonies of the river reverie "Fleet", to the Eno-esque sonorities of "Byebyeland". There's an overall warmth reminiscent of Sixties Laurel Canyon moods, particularly in the folksy reflections of "Southern Winds", while "Outside", a celebration of outsiderdom also gauging the dangers of rejection, shifts from hypnotic Bill Callahan-style understatement to ebullient indie pop.
Download: Fleet; Southern Winds; Outside
Arts & Ents blogs
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.