Album: Guillemots, Hello Land! (The State 51 Conspiracy)
Clearly unafraid of a challenge, with Hello Land! Guillemots offer the first of a quartet of season-themed albums to be released by the end of the year.
Recorded in Norway with a flute ensemble, these eight tracks evoke echoes of all manner of former glories, from the psych-pop of The Left Banke and The Association discernible in the genial high-register harmonies of the river reverie "Fleet", to the Eno-esque sonorities of "Byebyeland". There's an overall warmth reminiscent of Sixties Laurel Canyon moods, particularly in the folksy reflections of "Southern Winds", while "Outside", a celebration of outsiderdom also gauging the dangers of rejection, shifts from hypnotic Bill Callahan-style understatement to ebullient indie pop.
Download: Fleet; Southern Winds; Outside
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >