Album: Guillemots, Hello Land! (The State 51 Conspiracy)
Clearly unafraid of a challenge, with Hello Land! Guillemots offer the first of a quartet of season-themed albums to be released by the end of the year.
Recorded in Norway with a flute ensemble, these eight tracks evoke echoes of all manner of former glories, from the psych-pop of The Left Banke and The Association discernible in the genial high-register harmonies of the river reverie "Fleet", to the Eno-esque sonorities of "Byebyeland". There's an overall warmth reminiscent of Sixties Laurel Canyon moods, particularly in the folksy reflections of "Southern Winds", while "Outside", a celebration of outsiderdom also gauging the dangers of rejection, shifts from hypnotic Bill Callahan-style understatement to ebullient indie pop.
Download: Fleet; Southern Winds; Outside
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl Kaychanel featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >